Monday, February 07, 2005
●● Won ! ●●
Okay. I'm gonna announce it: WE WON HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!! Labels: SCHOOL Days
Hahaha.. It was like a total win. I heard that all of them vote for our side. So i guess it was a good win.
"Is there gender bias in DSM IV?"
Me, Jiajia and Eeling = Yes, there is gender bias.
Calvin, Meixue and Xiaowei = No, there is no gender bias.
Haha. We won!! It was a relly good debate because our groups did not prepare with each other before the debate. It was no fun knowing other group's debate materials. So we decided to thrash it all out on the very day of debate and rebut each other on the spot.
It was amazingly exciting and fun. I simply lurrrveee it. I always love the thrill of speaking in public. Haha. I had been standing on a stage since I was 4 or 5 and till now, I still love it.
Anyway, our audience were mainly females and when we depicted the unfairness targeted at female gender with regards to mental disorders, most of the audience could click with us.
It was unfair for men to label their women as mentally ill when their women refuse to listen to them.
It was horrifying for men to collaborate and shut their women in prison/mental instituition when they disagreed with their husbands' views.
It was cruel to accord women's success as being against normal social norms (men should be the ones being successful).
It was discriminating to label women's behavior as being mentally ill when they show their unhappiness. If having mood swings can be labelled as having mental disorders, then why aren't men's incessant desires for pornography not labelled as an illness?
In DSM IV [Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4], there were alot of instances of gender bias that could be pointed out. The above are just a few of the many examples.
Anyway, I relly lurrvee the debate. Ms Anne is relly nice. It was fun doing this Abnormal Psychology presentation in a different way via debate.
Haha. My mood is relly good today. Laa laa laa.