Wednesday, November 16, 2005
●● Happy : ) ●●
Binghan's mama called me. [Binghan is was my tuition kid.] I had stopped teaching him on the day his pri school exams ended. So, apparently his mama wanted me to teach him again now. But I had to refuse the offer. Probably cos I'm very tired of teaching already especially since he is a very very very difficult student, and most importantly, I'm in a pre-australia-mood already.
His mama was usually snotty, with her nose probably high up in the sky. Today, she's suddenly so nice and gentle, thanking me this and that, and asking me to teach her son. Why? Cos from his usual-always-failing-grades, I managed to pull him back and he has gotten 70+, almost 80 marks for the 2 subjects that I've taught. And, he has gotten an improvement-good-progress-award from school. Honestly, I'm so surprised and but of cos, I'm truly happy for him.
He has worked hard, I have worked hard as well. Why? His foundation for english and math are so shaky that I was so shaken up when I first taught him. What were the previous tutors doing? He has simply no concepts of his math's syllabus.
Tough mission. I had to re-teach everything right from the start. And I had only 3 months before his final exams. Mission from hell. I'm so fierce to students who are lazy/uninterested. Thoroughly drilled him till he kept practising his work with me. Now he knows his times table even better than a pri three boy.
So, for the past 3 months, it's drill, scolding, practice, work and tests from me. I love popping occasional surprise tests because its the most accurate judgement of whether he knows his stuff anot.
Now, he has done well and both his mom and him are finally appreciating me, ahem, a severely-under-paid-but-over-work tutor. Well, the sense of achievement is there but no no, I'm not teaching him anymore. His exams results would be a nice full-stop to his tuition case. I'm having enough of such rude student and arrogant mom.
My my my.. It's scary how people change when they need you to help them. When you were there previously, they couldn't even care less. Now that they need you again, they change their attitudes so quickly that you can't help being surprised. The warning bells were ringing in my head: DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR TRAPS AGAIN! What sly chameleons they are. Classical case of a working society. Hmmph.
Enough of them.. Another happy case: I got thanked by Justin's mother on monday. [Justin is my tuition kid.] He's a very intelligent 5 years old boy who just came back from australia about 4 months ago. And I have begin teaching him since he came back.
At first, he couldn't even understand chinese, lest speak a single word of chinese. But he's a very clever and hard working boy, always so eager to learn. And I love him lots, although he can be rather stubborn at times. Now, he can even communicate and be cheeky with me, speaking in chinese.
And his school teacher just told his mom that he's now the top student of the class with his improved-really-alot-chinese. So, his mom thanked me alot on monday. She's beaming in happiness. I guess, our hard work paid off. Justin's mom and I had been working hard, trying to improve his mother tongue. Truly, I'm very very happy. At least I have achieved something during this long holiday.
Ever since my graduation, I have been teaching because I truly wanted a break from nursing. Along the way, I feel down and despaired, wondering if I should have did a job related to nursing. At least for now, I'm feeling happy that I have made a difference in the kids that I had taught.
Do you know? My childhood ambition was to be a teacher. I even walked around my house, pretending to be a teacher, holding my books and forcing my brother to listen to my 'classes'. Those were the days. Hahahaha :p I think I could almost hear you all laughing at me! Haha : )
Well, now, I will still continue to do my best for my teaching job till I'm going away to be a student in a faraway land. I love kids so so much, and I'm definitely coming back to work with them! Hopefully, this time when I'm back from aust, I will be able to help those sick children out there. As for now, I'll be just as happy working with healthy, bubbly children. : )